Each year the National Book Foundation asks previous National Book Award winners to choose one young writer whose debut work “promises to leave a lasting impression on the literary landscape.”
All five 2020 recipients are women.
The 5 Under 35 Honorees for 2020:
- K-Ming Chang, Bestiary, selected by Justin Torres
- Naima Coster, Halsey Street, selected by Tayari Jones
- Raven Leilani, Luster, selected by Susan Choi
- Fatima Farheen Mirza, A Place for Us, selected by Tommy Orange
- C Pam Zhang, How Much of These Hills Is Gold, selected by Marlon James
The honorees are recognized at a ceremony and presented with a $1,000 prize.
Previous honorees include Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah, Brit Bennett, Angela Flournoy, Phil Klay, Valeria Luiselli, C.E. Morgan, Téa Obreht, ZZ Packer, Karen Russell, Justin Torres, Bryan Washington, Claire Vaye Watkins, and Tiphanie Yanique.