A.M.B., who hosts the Misfortune of Knowing blog [http://misfortuneofknowing.wordpress.com/] is the winner of the random drawing for a copy of YOU KNOW WHEN THE MEN ARE GONE by Siobhan Fallon. Thank you to all who participated. I hope you will pick up a copy of Siobhan’s terrific book; you won’t be disappointed.
The Literary Giveaway Blog Hop is hosted by Judith at Leeswammes’ Blog. From today (Sat., June 21) to Wednesday, June 25, you can “hop” to more than 30 book blogs, all of which are offering giveaways of books or book-related items. All books will be literary (non)fiction or something close to that. Follow the links at the bottom of this post to find the other participating blogs.
I’m giving away a copy of one of my favorite books of the last few years, Siobhan Fallon’s YOU KNOW WHEN THE MEN ARE GONE. It’s a powerful short story collection that captures the lives of the residents of Fort Hood army base in Texas, alternating between the women and children whose men are serving in Iraq and the soldiers themselves (sometimes in Iraq, sometimes back on the base). Fallon lived at Fort Hood while her husband, an Army major, served two tours of duty in Iraq.
You can read my review here.
My interview with Siobhan Fallon is here.
You Know When the Men Are Gone was listed as a Best Book of 2011 by The San Francisco Chronicle, Self Magazine, Los Angeles Public Library, Janet Maslin of The New York Times, and won a 2012 Indies Choice Honor Award, the Texas Institute of Letters Award for First Fiction, and the 2012 Pen Center USA Literary Award in Fiction. Her collection of stories about the families of Fort Hood, Texas, during an Army brigade’s deployment to Iraq, has been called “the explosive sort of literary triumph that appears only every few years” by New York Journal of Books, “a terrific and terrifically illuminating book” by The Washington Post, a “searing collection” by Entertainment Weekly, and “fascinating” by O, The Oprah Magazine. Theatrical productions of her stories include performances by Word for Word in San Francisco and Stories on Stage in Denver. Siobhan’s work has appeared in Women’s Day, Good Housekeeping, New Letters, Publishers’ Weekly, NPR’s The Morning Edition, and Huffington Post, and she writes a fiction series for Military Spouse Magazine. Siobhan has an MFA from the New School in NYC. She currently resides in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
- Any U.S. resident can enter (sorry, international readers). Just leave a comment to this post and include your email.
- You do not have to be a follower of my blog or become a follower, although I encourage you to take a look around and hope you will choose to follow it. You can follow by scrolling down in the sidebar until you find Follow Blog by Email, the button to follow it via Bloglovin, and the link to follow by RSS.
- There will be one winner.
- You can enter the giveaway until Wednesday, June 25 at midnight PDT.
- Tweet about the giveaway for ONE extra entry. Use this text: Win a book in the Literary Giveaway Blog Hop at ReadHerLikeAnOpenBook the blog for lit fiction by women http://wp.me/p3EtWm-fF @Austraphile
- I will notify the winner by email. The winner needs to answer my email within 3 days, or I’ll announce a new winner.
- Be sure to visit some or all of the other participating blogs to enter their book giveaways. Good luck!